Tuesday 21 September 2010

First Pitch for "Green Light"

Pop videos have many typical conventions. This is part of genre, what the audience expects to see in a pop video. Pop videos vary, as do their conventions with genre and type of pop video. There are two main types, a video that shows the artist, and a video that portrays the artist’s view and put across a message to the audience. When planning our pop videos we need to think about whether we want to imitate or subvert the typical pop video conventions. For our pop videos I think we will need to imitate many pop videos in that we will have to show the band constantly in order to get the audience relating with them and so that the audience can recognise the band in future videos and on our magazine advert and digipack cover.

In one of our lessons we had to pitch our favourite idea to the head of media productions (Luke) so he could give us feedback and put across his view on whether or not it would work technically or not. I pitched my “scrap yard” idea, as suggested by my teacher and the other members of the group. I created a Powerpoint presentation containing the song lyrics, and my ideas behind the treatment. The Powerpoint also included hyperlinks to the song and the inspiration video (Justice “Stress”). I had also planned out what I wanted to say so as to appear ready and prepared.




When I had pitched Luke (Our film teacher to acts as Executive Producer) had told me of a previous year when he had done a shoot in a scrap yard several years back and it had looked very effective. I played him the song and he seemed to like it. He also said that if we decided to do this idea the “scrap yard” theme would have to be synergistic through the Digipack cover and the magazine advert. He said that he liked the idea and thought it might be a really effective choice, especially to juxtapose the song. He did say however that Health and Safety might be an issue as the band members may get an injury or they may have to be wearing protective clothing, which would really ruin the image. This would be a really big issue if this were the audience’s first sight of them. He also said that scrap yards might be reluctant to let us smash up things as they tend to sell things on as parts or spares. However Luke sent me away to try and find a scrap yard that we could use the video, so I will phone round yards near my local area to try and find a location for the shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment